SDPB Radio earned some of the industry’s most coveted awards recently in the Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards. The South Dakota network took five of the 11 awards presented in the Small Market Radio category, including the prestigious Overall Excellence Award.
“I’m very proud of our news team,” said Cara Hetland, News Director.
SDPB Radio competed with public and commercial stations in Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin. Check out some of the prize-winning reports at SDPB.org/awards.
The awards include:
· Breaking News – Charles Michael Ray and Kealey Bultena for their coverage of the Wessington Springs Tornado.
· Continuing Coverage – Victoria Wicks for a series of stories about same sex marriage.
· Writing – Victoria Wicks for a story on the annual buffalo roundup.
· Sports – Gary Ellenbolt for a story about music in baseball.
· Overall Excellence – The entire SDPB Radio news team. The judges look at all of the award submissions and base the award on the overall quality of all entries.
Congratulations Dave Foote!
SDPB’s Promotions Producer Dave Foote earned 2014 Regional Emmy nominations for two promos he created over the past year. They include one that celebrates SDPB’s annual High School Achievement series and a general promotion of SDPB’s role over the past 50 years.
- Watch the High School Achievement video on YouTube
- Watch the "Fifty Years of Smiles with SDPB" video on YouTube.
Congratulations on well-deserved recognition.
Radio Lands Six 2014 Murrow Awards
SDPB Radio won some of the industry’s most coveted awards recently in the Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards recently. The South Dakota network took six of the nine awards presented in the Small Market Radio category.
SDPB Radio competed with public and commercial stations in Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin.
“We are fortunate in South Dakota to have one of the best public radio networks in the country,” said Julie Andersen, Executive Director of SDPB.
The awards include:
- Feature Reporting: “Shoppers Try Surgical Robot,” by Kealey Bultena.
- Investigative Reporting: “Church Sex Abuse,” by Charles Michael Ray.
- Hard News: “Ranchers Huge Losses,” by Charles Michael Ray.
- Sports: “Olympic Wrestling,” by Gary Ellenbolt.
- Use of Sound: “Loud Pipes Stir Debate,” by Charles Michael Ray.
- Writing: “Heat Impacts SD Students,” by Kealey Bultena.
SDPB Radio Dominates 2014 AP Awards
SDPB Radio earned 16 out of 26 total awards given in the annual AP Great Plains Broadcast Contest. The total includes 10 first place awards out of the 12 categories.
“Our talented staff dominated the awards this year,” said Joe Tlustos, Director of SDPB Radio. “Congratulations to all.”
- Continuing Story, first place, “Main Street Square Sculptor Visits Rapid City” by Jim Kent. http://listen.sdpb.org/post/main-street-square-sculptor-visits-rapid-city
- Enterprise, first place, “Letters Detail Alleged Church Sex Abuse,” by Charles Michael Ray. http://listen.sdpb.org/post/letters-detail-alleged-church-sex-abuse
- Feature, second place, “2013 Ladies Handgun Shoot Aims To Familiarize Women With Firearms,” by Amy Varland http://listen.sdpb.org/post/2013-ladies-handgun-shoot-aims-familiarize-women-firearms; and third place, “Rattlesnakes That Can't Rattle Being Found In The Black Hills,” by Gary Ellenbolt http://listen.sdpb.org/post/rattlesnakes-cant-rattle-being-found-black-hills.
- General Reporting, first place, “Stakeholders Talk Indian Health Research,” by Kealey Bultena. http://listen.sdpb.org/post/stakeholders-talk-indian-health-research
- Newscast, first place, Chris Laughery; third place, Gary Ellenbolt.
- Series/Documentary, first place, “Prayer in Public Places,” by Victoria Wicks http://listen.sdpb.org/term/public-prayer; third place “Art of Healing,” by Cara Hetland http://www.sdpb.sd.gov/artofhealing/default.aspx.=
- Spot News, first place, “Tribal President Arrested During Whiteclay Protest,” by Charles Michael Ray http://listen.sdpb.org/post/tribal-president-arrested-during-whiteclay-protest; second place, “Two-Year-Old Dies Following Abuse,” by Kealey Bultena http://listen.sdpb.org/post/two-year-old-dies-following-abuse.
- Talk/Public Affairs, first place, “South Dakota Governors Being Honored In Pierre,” by Karl Gehrke http://listen.sdpb.org/post/south-dakota-governors-being-honored-pierre.
- Website, first place, http://SDPB.org.
- Writing, first place, “Heat Impacts SD Students,” by Kealey Bultena. http://listen.sdpb.org/post/heat-impacts-sd-students
- Sports, second place, “Wrestling May Be Eliminated From Olympics in 2020,” by Gary Ellenbolt. http://listen.sdpb.org/post/wrestling-may-be-eliminated-olympics-2020
- Best use of Sound, first place, “Loud Pipes Stir Debate,” by Charles Michael Ray. http://listen.sdpb.org/post/loud-pipes-stir-debate