Make a Composter
Instead of throwing your fruit and veggie scraps, coffee grounds, and egg shells in the trash, use them to help you make your own compost. When your compost is ready, you can mix it in with some dirt and you have perfect planting soil!
To make your composter you are going to need the following things. For the directions click here!
- 1 empty two-liter soda bottle
- sharp knife
- shredded paper
- dirt (not potting soil- use dirt from outside)
- compost materials (such as grass clippings, vegetable scraps)
- small handful of dead leaves
- flat dish to hold composter
- spray bottle with water
Taking a closer look!
- As you check your composter each day, describe what you observe.
- You may see fluffy mold growing. Some people are allergic to some types of mold, so keep you composter covered when you're not working with it!
- Now take your rich, healthy soil, place it in a pot, add a seed and some water and grow your very own plant!