The 1875 Dr. Flick Cabin - Custer

Last Updated by Brian Gevik, Text by Gary Enright - Director - 1881 Courthouse Museum - Custer on
Images Courtesy 1881 Courthouse Museum, Custer, SD

There’s a little log cabin in the Way Park across from the 1881 Courthouse Museum in Custer that holds a distinctive place in history.  It is the oldest known building still in existence in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

The Dr. Flick Cabin - Custer 2015 image2015 SDPB

Known as the “Flick Cabin”, construction work on this 24’ X 16’ log home was started by Doctor Daniel W. Flick in 1875 just as Custer City was getting its start.  He did not complete the cabin however when General George Crook arrived with the U.S. Army to remove all non-native people from the Black Hills.  Dr. Flick and other miners who had settled in Custer were forced to walk to Fort Laramie.

Dr. Daniel Flick imageDr. Daniel Flick. 1881 Courthouse Museum

With the miners gone, a military unit headed by Captain Edwin Pollock settled into what is now Custer,  the “Mother City of the Black Hills”.  Captain Pollock finished building the Flick Cabin and moved his office and headquarters there. 

During the ensuing months Capt. Jack Crawford also moved into the cabin and it was about that time that Dr. Flick returned from Fort Laramie to reclaim his house.

When  he arrived, he found his cabin occupied.  Flick ordered Capt. Crawford out and when he refused to leave, the good doctor threw the intruder’s belongings out on the  street.

Capt. Jack Crawford ImageCapt. Jack Crawford. 1881 Courthouse Museum
 

Capt. Jack Crawford Image

This dispute precipitated the first civil lawsuit in Custer County.  Eventually the Miner’s Court ruled in Dr. Flick’s favor and Dr. Flick moved back into the home and stayed there for several years before eventually moving to Rapid City where he and his wife lived until the good doctor passed away February 2, 1911.

During the next few years, the cabin passed through the hands of several residents.  At one time a false front was built onto the cabin as apparently was used as a retail store. 

Flick Cabin image circa 1893

Old time residents Frank Todd and William Thornby  joined Horatio Ross, the man who discovered gold in the Black Hills to have their photograph taken in front of the historic building.

There is no evidence that the cabin was moved at any time since photographs indicate that it was sitting on its present location in what is now “Way Park” in downtown Custer, as early as 1903.

Flick Cabin004 copy.jpg

Flick Cabin Storefront copy.jpg

Flick Cabin002 copy.jpg

In 1999 it was discovered that the then 125 year old structure was suffering from water damage along the foundation logs. 

The Flick Cabin image

A local log home building company was hired to replace some of the logs along the foundation which had rotted out over the years of the structure’s existence.

When workers lifted the cabin up to replace the logs, they found several of the foundation logs had been hollowed out and two pistols and an old shotgun were found to have been hidden in the log foundation.

The local movers turned the firearms over to the 1881 Courthouse Museum where they are presently on display.

Considerable moisture through the long internment of the pistols and shotgun, did extensive damage.

The oldest firearm is the 1858 Remington .44 caliber Army Revolver.

Pistol Found in Cabin.jpg

The next oldest is the 1862 model Colt .36 caliber Police Revolver.

Pistol Found in Cabin2 copy.jpg

The shotgun was a 16 gauge double-barrel pin-fire shotgun manufactured in the 1860’s and 1870’s.

Rifle Found in Cabin copy.jpg

There is no documentation as to who may have owned these weapons and how they happened to be hidden in the log foundation of the “Flick Cabin”.

Dr. Flick lived in the cabin and treated patients there from 1876 until the early 1900’s when he moved to Rapid City.  Through those decades he served the citizens of Custer who were injured in mining, ranching, or logging.  He saw most of the population through various epidemics which struck over the years and kept his professional services available for all citizens no matter what their economic status was.

Flick in Old age-tombstoneTombstone copy.jpgAn elderly Dr. Daniel Flick & Headstone

Old timers told of the times when Dr. Flick would travel in his buggy far out into the Black Hills to treat a patient, most likely a injury victim, and return to Custer in the dead of night, asleep on the seat of the buggy while his faithful horse found his way back to the stable located next to the Flick Cabin.

The Dr. Flick Cabin - Custer 2015 image2015 SDPB

Listen to a Dakota Midday radio interview with Gary Enright, director of the 1881 Courthouse Museum in Custer

Airdate: Nov. 9, 2015


Educational Resource: Lesson Plan Build It: Scale - During this activity your students will construct 3 “scaled” models of the Flick Cabin in Custer, SD. This is a perfect engineering/math activity for an afterschool group, club or elementary class.

1881 Courthouse Museum.

"Personalities" with Chuck Anderson. Vintage radio interviews with well known and not so well known South Dakotans.

Personalities: Roy and Lucille Fitz Pt. II

In this continuation of the story of Roy and Lucille Fitz, the De Smet couple discusses the reality of the...

Personalities: Roy and Lucille Fitz, Part 1

Sadly, we're losing senior South Dakotans able to share first-hand remembrances of what life was like here in the...

Personalities: Huron Native Candace Hilligoss on Her 1962 Cult Film Classic, "Carnival of Souls"

Candace Hilligoss grew up in Huron during the 1940s and 1950s and graduated from Huron high school. After three...