Savor Dakota: Winter Vegetable Soup with Timpsila Recipe
Last Updated by
Winter Vegetable Soup with Timpsila
By Chef MJ Adams, as featured on Savor Dakota Episode 4: Winter
1 ½ to 2 cups fresh timpsila (wild turnip); turnip or rutabaga can substitute
2 medium carrots, scrubbed or peeled & ends removed
2 stalks celery
3 whole shallots, peeled
4 sage leaves, cut into long thin strips (chiffonade)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper
7-10 cups water
• Remove outer bark of timpsila. Cut in half and again into half-moon slices.
• Cut carrots into 1/8 inch cubes.
• Cut celery into 1/8 cubes.
• Halve shallots. Slice cross-wise for half-moon shapes.
• Add olive oil to large stock pot and place over medium heat.
• Add carrots and celery; stir. Cover and heat 3-4 minutes.
• Add shallots, salt and sage; stir. Cover and heat 4-5 minutes.
• Add timpsila; stir. Cover and heat 3 minutes.
• Add 7 cups water. For a thinner soup, add more water.
• Bring to boil. Turn down heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
• Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with bread and cheese.