Savor Dakota: Empanada Recipe
Buffalo Empanadas: Episode 203, Entrées
by Chef MJ Adams
2 cups pastry or all-purpose
10 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter
1 teaspoon salt
6-9 tablespoons water
1. Combine butter, flour & salt in large bowl until crumbly. Mix dough with hands, adding water in increments until dough forms.
2. Form into flat circles 3” in diameter. Chill 45 minutes.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 carrot, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1/4 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 lb. ground buffalo meat
1/2 cup green olives, chopped
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped
1 hard-boiled egg, peeled & diced (optional)
Sea salt for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, celery & carrot. Sauté until lightly colored.
- Add buffalo meat, breaking in small pieces. Stir and sauté to medium-well.
- Stir in olives, tomatoes & egg. Remove from heat. Season and cool to room temp.
- Heat oven to 375º
- Use a tortilla press or hands. Roll each ball of dough into 6” circle. Place filling on one half.
- Brush edges with water and wrap dough around filling to form empanada. Crimp edges with fork.
- Brush with egg wash & sprinkle sea salt.
- Place empanadas on sheet pan. Bake 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
1 cup parsley leaves, chopped
3 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
3/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1. Combine ingredients in bowl. Best when marinated several hours at room temp. Serve.
Makes 7 empanadas