Want to make a fun DIY toy that moves? This kinetic carousel spins wildly and demonstrates potential and kinetic energy.
- paper and carousel template (pdf)
- plastic lid – about 3″ diameter (peanut butter jar lids are perfect)
- wide rubber band (thin rubber bands won’t work!)
- paper clip
- clear tape
- plastic straw (cut a 3 ½” length)
- 2″ long plastic tube a 1″ diameter PVC coupling from the hardware store works well! If you want to repurpose something from home try one of the following:
- An extra wide straw cut down to 2”
- An empty tube of lip balm, center removed.
- drill & drill bit (adults only)
Note: You must use plastic tubing. Paper tubing i.e. paper towel rolls, will create too much friction with the plastic lid. It’s also important to make sure your tube is wide enough for the rubber band to twist and unwind.
For full instructions, click here