Today's William J. Fitzmaurice State Veterans home in Hot Springs was established in 1889, largely thanks to the efforts of the many Civil War veterans who moved to Dakota Territory after the war. The first resident was admitted to the home in 1890 and the facility has been serving veterans and their families ever since. A building dedicated in 2016 is now the main medical and residential facility but the home's original building still stands and is still used for housing veterans and their spouses.
Origins of the South Dakota State Veterans Home
by Published onImages of the Past