Donor Privacy and Data Handling Policy
Friends of SDPB is dedicated to honoring the privacy and wishes of our members and supporters at all times. Following are details about our privacy policies, including what type of information is gathered and tracked, and how the information is used.
Friends of SDPB does not rent, exchange or sell the data of our members or supporters.
Data Handling and Information
Friends of SDPB utilizes secure handling and storage of all member data including payment information.
Friends of SDPB only collects and maintains personal information that is sent to us directly. This information is obtained from direct mail, email, telemarketing, face to face and other forms of solicitation.
To complete online transactions, you will be asked for your address, email, phone number and payment information. This required information is necessary for us to process transactions, protect you against credit card fraud and contact you should the need arise in administering your account. We are 100% PCI compliant.
Friends of SDPB intends to protect the quality and integrity of your personally identifiable information. We have implemented appropriate physical, technical and organizational measures, including industry-standard encryption for transmission of credit card information, to help keep your information secure, accurate, current and complete.
Donations made on the sdpb.org website are secure to the fullest extent possible. We use strong 256-bit encryption through TLS (Transport Layer Security -- formerly SSL or Secure Sockets Layer technology). TLS protects information as it is transferred through the Internet.
You can recognize secure web pages by checking for the secure symbol at the bottom of your browser screen. For most browsers, this symbol is either a lock or a key. When the lock symbol appears to be locked, the page is secure. When it appears to be unlocked, the page is insecure.
Friends of SDPB adheres to a strict anti-spam policy in respect to email, making it easy for our subscribers to unsubscribe.
“Donor Bill of Rights”
Friends of SDPB believes in the rights of donors and subscribes to the Donor Bill of Rights. This statement of rights was developed by the following organizations: the American Association of Fund Raising Counsel, Association for Healthcare Philanthropy, Council for Advancement and Support of Education, and National Society of Fund Raising Executives. The full text of the Donor Bill of Rights follows.
"Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the not-for-profit organizations and causes they are asked to support, we declare that all donors have these rights:
- To be informed of the organization's mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization's governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization's most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers."