Three Sioux Falls Schools - 1928
A promotional film shot in 1928 for the city of Sioux Falls lauds three of the city's schools: Columbus College - a private Catholic school that closed in 1929, Washington High School, and Augustana College.
The buildings and grounds of Columbus College were purchased by the Federal Government in 1948. The site is now the home of the Royal C. Johnson Veterans Memorial Hospital.
Washington High School is now the Washington Pavilion of Arts and Sciences.
Training students to become teachers was one of the primary missions of Augustana College in 1928.
The tracks and overhead wires of a Summit Avenue street car line are visible in this image.
For Teachers: Activity idea is available at SDPB's Digital Learning Library.
Learn more about the history of Augustana College.
A brief history of Washington High School. (Sioux Falls School District page.)