Education & Outreach Staff
We are all students of life. That means South Dakota Public Broadcasting is dedicated to us - from tiny tots to senior citizens. The SDPB Education and Online Department helps enhance and expand the learning experience available every day on TV, radio and the web. The things that help us learn, dream and grow.
Steven is originally from Tyndall, SD. He graduated from Dakota State University with a degree in Biology and Computer Education. He has taught physics, physical science, anatomy, biology, and earth science. Steven develops resource materials for specific content areas and then provides in-service training (workshops) at schools and education conferences across the state for both educational staff and parents. He also creates a weekly electronic education newsletter (register) for teachers/parents. Steven updates/maintains the content on the education section of the SDPB website, the Digital Learning Library, and SDPB's submissions to the national PBS LearningMedia site. Steven has also been a volunteer EMT for 18 years.
He has received many awards, including the following.
- The Golden Apple Award for Teachers
- Multiple Who's Who Among Teachers Awards
- The Archdiocese of Omaha Teacher of the Year Award
- Regional Emmy Nomination - Kid's Quest: Making Change Really Counts
- 2016 SoDakSACA SACCY Award
- 2019 South Dakota Science Teachers Association Friend of Science Award for his service to the advancement of science education in South Dakota.
- Steven was honored as the 2019 Dakota State University Distinguished Alumnus.
- 2019 Sanford Underground Research Facility CORES (Communication OutReach Experiences in Science) Award.
- Regional Emmy Nomination - Activity Starter: Native American Winter Count
Comments from Teachers:
- Amazing job! Steven's personality ensures that he is the best person for the job, nobody better. Hard worker, never tires. I learned tangible things to take back to the classroom!
- I cannot wait to get into the classroom and use these things.
- It was fantastic! I had a lot of fun and learned a lot.
- THANK YOU for such an entertaining and informative session this morning. My students had SO many positive comments and were excited about science afterwards (they’re either scared or unsure of themselves with science activities). You were a hit! Thank you again.
- Just wanted to tell you that you killed it during the presentation today…Awesome information and presentation… Thanks a ton!
- Super Ideas! Great Energy! I’m fired up – Super Motivational!!
- Best presentation of the Conference!
- Best session I’ve been to! Thank you for your resources.
- Very exciting presentation, kept my interest the whole time. Liked how the audience was involved!
- Could listen and learn all day!! Thanks for the inspiration.
- Amazing. I could stay in this session the rest of the day.
- I’ve seen many of these presentations. It’s always fun and exciting. Great resources in the emails sent out.
- Best presentation by far, outstanding!
- Awesome!! Best presentation/presenter at TIE
Steven (AKA – Science Steve) also helps with outreach events and activities by providing an entertaining and educational science show for families. SDPB's Science Guy Steven Rokusek uses humor and fascinating demonstrations to bring dry theorems and scientific laws to life. The demonstrations are entertaining for kids and adults and include physics, chemistry and anatomy demonstrations. (Photos: I & II)
Enjoy 30 Seconds with SDPB's Science Steve
Thank you to our Sponsors!