Diversity at South Dakota Public Broadcasting
South Dakota Public Broadcasting is South Dakota. Diversity throughout South Dakota Public Broadcasting (SDPB) is important for the success of our organization. We are stronger, more credible, more knowledgeable and more effective when our board of directors, community advisory board, management and staff include qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds, cultures and traditions that are varied and reflect the composition of our state.
SDPB recognizes that diversity considerations extend beyond race and gender. The spectrum of diversity also includes disability, religious belief, age, culture, sexual orientation, physicality, education and socio-economic status.
SDPB will strive to have its governing body, advisory groups and workforce reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
When choosing to fill community advisory board, management, or staff positions, SDPB will consider its current organizational makeup regarding diversity.
For any opening, SDPB will actively seek and encourage qualified individuals, including women and minorities, to apply.
SDPB’s Diversity Plan
SDPB will continue to explore new opportunities for achieving and promoting diversity and to monitor and evaluate our success. SDPB strives to meet the standards of federal and state law, SDPB’s Equal Employment Opportunity Policy and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting’s Diversity Eligibility Criteria.
On an annual basis SDPB reviews our established goal of supporting diversity in our workforce, management, and advisory boards.
- SDPB will annually review its employment practices to support our commitment to diversity and assure our compliance with applicable Corporation for Public Broadcasting and Federal Communications Commission requirements with the Board of Directors for Education and Telecommunication.
- SDPB will include individuals representing diverse groups in internships or work study programs designed to provide professional-level experience in order to reflect the diversity of our community and further SDPB’s commitment to education.
- SDPB will educate our management and staff annually in best practices for maintaining an inclusive and diverse environment for all persons through resources made available by the state of South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources.
- SDPB will participate in job fairs at various locations in order to make potential employees of diverse backgrounds aware of the type of jobs available at SDPB and the skills and knowledge required to obtain jobs at SDPB.
- SDPB will provide job opening information to organizations that make such requests, and promote the fact that such a list exists through on-air announcements.
- SDPB will periodically promote where jobs are listed through on-air announcements.