DIY Bouncy Balls: Video
By Caroline Gravino of Salsa Pie
Make a DIY Bouncy Ball using borax laundry powder, cornstarch, school glue and a little water! This chemistry and craft project rolled into one can be used to spark great conversations about the science behind elasticity! How high does the ball bounce?
• 1/2 tsp. borax powder
• 1 tsp. white glue
• food coloring
• 3 tsp. cornstarch
• 4 tsp. warm water
1) In a large mixing bowl, mix together the borax powder, and cornstarch.
2) Add water to the borax powder and cornstarch mixture and mix well.
3) Next add the glue to your mix and stir well until a blobby mixture forms.
4) Roll the blobby mixture between the palm of your hands until it hardens and a rubbery ball forms. The trick here is to keep rolling and rolling. You may need to wipe your hands as you go.
5) Once you have rolled the glob into a tight, rubbery ball m you are ready to bounce! Bounce the ball on a hard surface and see how high you can get it to go!
Caroline Gravino, a PBS Parents resident crafter, is a designer of creative family projects, tinkering painter and mother of four children. She writes about project ideas for the whole family and how to encourage creativity in kids on the popular blog, Salsa Pie and shares videos on the PBS Parents YouTube Channel.