Kids can craft a handmade bird feeder by recycling a milk carton and using a few other household supplies. Hang your feeder then wait and watch to see if you spot any birds. This activity is a great way to encourage bird watching plus a summer boredom buster rolled into one! What kind of birds will feed from the bird feeder?
empty milk carton
paint and paint brushes
yarn or string
1. Paint an empty milk carton a solid color and allow it to dry.
2. Once dry, cut a rectangular opening in the top portion of the carton.
3. Decorate the milk carton with a permanent marker. Add details like windows and a scalloped roof if you wish.
4. Fill the carton up to the opening with birdseed.
5. Have an adult poke a sharpened pencil into the carton just under the opening. Remove the pencil.
6. Insert a twig into the hole you poked with the pencil. Make sure the twig is thick enough that you have to kind of force it through so it will stay-put.
7. Poke holes in the top sides of the carton and insert a string. Tie the string at the top to form a hanger.
You are all set! Hang your handmade bird feeder outside and watch and wait as the birds enjoy some birdseed!