We are all students of life. That means South Dakota Public Broadcasting is dedicated to us - from tiny tots to senior citizens. The SDPB Education and Online Department helps enhance and expand the learning experience available every day on TV, radio and the web. The things that help us learn, dream and grow.
Steven is originally from Tyndall, SD. He graduated from Dakota State University with a degree in Biology and Computer Education. He has taught physics, physical science, anatomy, biology, and earth science. He has received the Golden Apple Award for Teachers, multiple Who's Who Among Teachers Awards, the Archdiocese of Omaha Teacher of the Year Award, a Regional Emmy Nomination, and is the recipient of the 2016 SoSoDakSACA SACCY Award. He is also the recipient of the 2019 South Dakota Science Teachers Association Friend of Science Award for his service to the advancement of science education in South Dakota.
Steven develops resource materials for specific content areas and then provides in-service training (workshops) at schools and education conferences across the state for both educational staff and parents. He also creates a weekly electronic education newsletter (register) for teachers/parents.
Recent Comments from Teachers:
- Just wanted to tell you that you killed it during the presentation today…Awesome information and presentation… Thanks a ton!
- Super Ideas! Great Energy! I’m fired up – Super Motivational!!
- Best presentation of the Conference!
- Best session I’ve been too! Thank you for resources.
- Very excited presentation, kept my interest the whole time. Liked how audience was involved!
- Could listen and learn all day!! Thanks for the inspiration.
- Amazing. I could stay in this session the rest of the day.
- I’ve seen many of these presentations. It’s always fun and exciting. Great resources in the emails sent out.
- Best presentation by far, outstanding!
- Awesome!! Best presentation/presenter at TIE
Steven (AKA – Science Steve) also helps with outreach events and activities by providing an entertaining and educational science show for families. SDPB's Science Guy Steven Rokusek uses humor and fascinating demonstrations to bring dry theorems and scientific laws to life. The demonstrations are entertaining for kids and adults and include physics, chemistry and anatomy demonstrations. (Photos: I & II)
Science Steve (video below)